One of many criticisms of uniforms is that it imposes standards of masculinity and femininity from the young age. Uniforms are thought an application of discipline that schools use to regulate student behavior and often promote conventional gendered dress. Boys often are expected to wear trousers, belts, and closed-toe shoes and have their shirts tucked in at all times. They are also often required to have their hair cut short. Some critics allege this uniform is related to the dress of a specialist business man, which, they claim, gives boys at a young age the impression that masculinity is gained through business success. For females, some uniforms promote femininity by requiring girls to wear skirts. Skirts have emerged by some critics as a symbol of femininity simply because they restrict movement and force certain methods for sitting and playing. In some cultures, the main topic of school uniforms has sparked numerous controversies and debates on the years. Debates regarding the constitutionality and economic feasibility of uniforms also contribute to the controversy.
The need to buy school uniforms stems from the need to inculcate a sense of discipline in a child’s life. Thus a child learns to follow a certain lifestyle with gravity the seriousness of which would get diluted if there is no dress code followed. The child also learns to take pride in the school and what it stands for thereby slowly understanding the importance and responsibilities which come along with wearing the school uniform.
Why buy school uniforms
There are several advantages of buying school uniforms and wearing them to school every day. In fact in many places around the world, school uniforms have been found to affect the safety of the student in a positive way by:
- Reducing instances of victimisation and
- Decreasing fights and other such gang activities like bullying.
In fact the school uniform enables the school authorities and other people associated with the schools and working in it to differentiate between students and strangers. Thus it becomes easy to impose limitations on stranger activities within the school premises and increase the safety of the students.
Other socially relevant advantages of wearing a school uniform when attending class everyday are:
- It enhances the learning environment of the school,
- Imbibes a sense of pride for the school in the student,
- Encourages students to work hard for better all-round achievements,
- Makes them understand the need to conform to organised goals,
- Gives rise to a sense of commitment towards learning and gaining knowledge,
- Prepares them for life by making them follow certain standards of preparedness,
- Helps to prevent the rise of social and economic barriers among students,
- Prevents the development of peer pressure to buy and wear trendy clothes etc.
In fact the school environment gets positively impacted when a student wears a school uniform. Thus they are necessary to ensure a good school environment, safety of students and increase the self-perception of a student.